How I Write


Writing is one of those processes that once you find the way your process works, that's how you write all the time. I'm not someone who has mastered my process yet. Though, I do have some common denominators. One, it's never in my bedroom. Two, I'm always on the main level of our house. Three, there's always a Guinea Pig nearby.

Today in particular was a day where I decided to take out one of my pigs and work on some writing. Though what I didn't expect was my typically shy and sleepy piggy to be a little adventurous. Fergus decided he would climb onto my lap and stand on my keyboard. I was fine with it because he's a little sweetheart.

I am someone who works all the time, so I don't have any sort of consistency in my space. I'm interrupted every half hour or so, so I have to make do with what little time I do have. I want to be successful and the only way to be successful is to write wherever and however I can.

Having Fergus next to me is like having a sleepy kitty next to me. When your brain decides it doesn't know what to do with the words you want to write, you can reach over and receive a few bubbly responses as you think. Bonus about Guinea Pigs: they purr too.

My point is, wherever you go, there will always be a distraction. So why not adhere to them? Let the distractions surround you. I write with music sometimes, other times I don't. It depends on my mood. If I want to block out the whole world, you can bet your tooty I will put in my earbuds. Other times, I'll sit in my house and just type away. More often than not, I will always have music playing in my ears. I live for making playlists for my books and not using them makes me sad.

There’s tons of different ways to write and I’m sure many people (you included) may have already figured out how the hell you can stay focused. Me? I’m the definition of winging it. I wing it on a daily basis and I’m still not completely sure what I’m doing half of the time. I feel like one day I’m going to figure it out and finally crack down on my writing habits. But I’m a college student, staying focused is the last thing I want to do.

I admit, I’m probably the best out of my family at staying focused. When I graduated middle school, I got a word that represented me. My word was diligent. Now, at the time I had no idea what that word could possibility mean. Over time, I realized that I was definitely diligent. I will work my hardest until I successfully get whatever I want. I will succeed in my career… even if it’s the last thing I do.

If I’m going to be a writer, I have to make the time to write. I can’t wait for inspiration to strike me at the last possible moment. For the lack of a better phrase, I’m going to quote Shia Lebouf by saying I have to “just do it.” Suck up your pants and go write. Right now.


Share:

0 comments

A.J. Winter

Amanda, or A.J. Winter, is an avid reader and writer. She is a full-time college student who also writes on the website, Wattpad. She is a member of their Wattpad Stars program.

Comments system