Editing My Book



Writing is something I've expressed that I love. So I thought I would talk about writing on Wednesdays. For today's topic, I thought I would talk about the process I'm working on right now. What's that? Editing.

Editing is something I've never tackled previously to this year. I was a first draft and done kind of person. With my book, Vigilant, it is the first book I've ever felt the need to edit. I want this book to be the one to get me published. I think it's because I found something I love and that's what's making me so passionate about it.

What's my editing process?

I'm still figuring out what my process is, but right now, I'm going through chapter by chapter to make the changes I want to make. I have a list of the things I'm going to change. I have one big change I want to make and incorporate other characters earlier in the book. So that's really what I'm focusing on right now.

Most of my time is spent incorporating these changes, but also strengthening my descriptions. As I'm reading through the draft and adding things, I've been noticing the lack/weakness of my descriptions. That is definitely the weakest part of my writing process thus far. Dialogue has always been my favorite thing, but I'm starting to love description as well.

As I'm writing this draft, I am also getting feedback from critique partners and beta readers. I'm really excited to read and compile all of the feedback together and make changes from there. 

I'm hoping to maybe start querying by December, but even if it's by May of 2017, I'll be just as happy!

Share:

0 comments

A.J. Winter

Amanda, or A.J. Winter, is an avid reader and writer. She is a full-time college student who also writes on the website, Wattpad. She is a member of their Wattpad Stars program.

Comments system