Passenger by Alexandra Bracken | REVIEW


I'm never one to really write full-length book reviews, but this book. THIS BOOK. It was probably my favorite book of this year, I'm not gonna lie. Like, it was that good.

SUMMARY FROM AMAZON
     In one devastating night, violin prodigy Etta Spencer loses everything she knows and loves. Thrust into an unfamiliar world by a stranger with a dangerous agenda, Etta is certain of only one thing: she has traveled not just miles, but years from home. And she's inherited a legacy she knows nothing about from a family whose existence she's never heard of. Until now.
     Nicholas Carter is content with his life at sea, free from the Ironwoods-a powerful family in the Colonies-and the servitude he's known at their hands. But with the arrival of an unusual passenger on his ship comes the insistent pull of the past that he can't escape and the family that won't let him go so easily. Now the Ironwoods are searching for a stolen object of untold value, one they believe only Etta, his passenger, can find. In order to protect her, Nick must ensure she brings it back to them-whether she wants to or not.
     Together, Etta and Nicholas embark on a perilous journey across centuries and continents, piecing together clues left behind by the traveler who will do anything to keep the object out of the Ironwoods' grasp. But as they get closer to the truth of their search, and the deadly game the Ironwoods are playing, treacherous forces threaten to separate Etta not only from Nicholas but from her path home forever.
Passenger is the first book I've read by Alexandra Bracken and this is a book that feels like a breath of fresh air. I think I've been running on a constant book hangover since I finished reading Outlander last summer. This book revolves around time travel and I can't get enough of it! This book gives me all the feels in the world.

Etta was a strong character and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about a character who was so involved in music. Her passion reminded me of myself when I was in high school band. Despite my love for Etta, I think I found myself drawn more towards Nicholas. He intrigued me because he came from a completely different time period

One thing I'm particularly pleased with in regards to this book is Bracken's touch on an interracial couple. This is the very first book I've read that deals with a heterosexual interracial couple. That is one of the most fascinating things ever. I think more people should utilize this detail because it makes for a unique story.

This book, I felt, did move slow at times, but I really enjoyed the parts that weren't slow. I kept turning the page wanting to know what was coming next! When I reached the end of the book, I said to myself, "This can't be it. She can't end it like that." But she did. I cannot wait until February to read Wayfarer. For the record, it comes out in January, but I will be on vacation in the UK and Europe for the month. But I cannot wait to dive into the next (and final) book.

My Rating: 5 stars on Goodreads

Share:

0 comments

A.J. Winter

Amanda, or A.J. Winter, is an avid reader and writer. She is a full-time college student who also writes on the website, Wattpad. She is a member of their Wattpad Stars program.

Comments system