Reading With Music

As I'm part of the age of technology, it's only suiting that I talk about technology in a post. I'm someone who always needs some sort of noise in my life. Whether it be a fan blowing in the background, my Guinea Pigs squeaking over nothing, or music playing in my noise cancelling headphones. I always need noise.

When I'm reading, there is no exception there. I am someone who needs to listen to music when I'm reading (and sleeping). When I read, I typically have a playlist on Spotify I prefer, other times, I'll just pick a song I'm really loving at the moment to listen to as I read. Sometimes, the song has no connection to the book I'm reading, but other times, it really helps enhance the experience.

Many writers (myself included) have to listen to music as they write and I am obsessed with making playlists for my books. Even the ones I haven't started yet. They all have playlists on Spotify and I religiously listen to them and update them. It's just the way I work. Most of the time, the songs on my book playlist are what I listen to when I read other books.

My favorite moments are when the scene you're reading matches the mood of the song you're listening to. I was reading a Wattpad book by my good friend Ally (allyrwilliams ... I was reading The Bestfriend) and I was listening to this one song by One Direction (I think it was If I Could Fly) and I was so close to crying because of how emotional it made the scene. It was probably a mixture of my friend Ally's incredible writing skills.

But the fact is, writing can make an entire series memorable. I remember reading The 100 by Kass Morgan and listening to The Lumineers and Lay By Me by firekid. So every time I listen to Lay By Me, all I can think of is The 100. Show or book, it doesn't really matter. I think listening to music while reading can also help remember the story. But only if you listen to the same playlist or song.

Do you listen to music while reading or writing? Comment below if you do.

Share:

0 comments

A.J. Winter

Amanda, or A.J. Winter, is an avid reader and writer. She is a full-time college student who also writes on the website, Wattpad. She is a member of their Wattpad Stars program.

Comments system