Book Recommendation: OUTLANDER


One of the things you will learn about me is that I have a not so slight obsession with Diana Gabaldon's Outlander. I discovered this book a few years ago, but didn't pick it up until last summer. What a mistake that was! Turns out, it began to change my life... and for the better.

When I read this book, I was blown away at how mesmerizing the descriptions were. As a writer, this was kind of a typical reaction. The writer mesmerized by the writing. Big shock. However, I was also captivated by how well I was able to see everything Gabaldon was writing. I felt that she really captured the essence and beauty of Scotland. This book is the one that really sparked my want to visit there (and I am so excited to visit in January)!

This was the first historical novel I've ever picked up. When I bought this book, I bought Game of Thrones as well. I tried George R.R. Martin's book first, but high fantasy isn't my thing. So, naturally, I thought Outlander was along the same lines. It wasn't. And I'm really glad about that.

Most time travel stories are pretty much the same. You've got a machine, you go in, and you're wherever you want to be. Outlander dealt with the time travel in the smartest way I've ever seen. There was a reason for it and I can't believe this was Gabaldon's practice novel! It's incredibly well written and a mesmerizing tale.

The characters are some of the most in-depth characters I've ever read. Each of them has their own flaws as well as dark back stories. I love each and every character in their own way. Sure, I despised Black Jack Randall at times, but then again, who doesn't? I don't feel that there is any flat characters in these books because every character mentioned usually pops up again at one point or another. The way the characters are written, I feel as if I actually know these people personally. They're such an intricate group that it's hard to stop reading these books.

If you don't think historical fiction is for you, I dare you to drop everything and give this book a shot. I didn't think it was for me either, but I was wrong. In fact, I don't think I'll read any other historical novel because I fear I won't be in love with this book anymore. This book has changed my life as a reader and a writer.

As a reader, I found that I don't really like high fantasy books or movies. Sure, Harry Potter will always remain close to my heart, but I've grown up. I love Science Fiction and this book really showcased the mixing of genres. Not many writers can mix Historical Fiction with Science Fiction. It's almost unheard of, yet it's such a compelling thing.

As a writer, I found that this is the kind of writing I would love to do. Not the same genres or anything, but Diana Gabaldon's focal point of her writing is definitely her descriptions. I am better at dialogue than I am at description and these books are the reason for me working on descriptions. The way she tells her stories is such an interesting perspective to look at from a writer's point of view. I can't wait to read my books from before I read Gabaldon's books to after. I know I grew a lot from reading them.

So I dare each and every one of you to go ahead and pick up Outlander. You won't regret it.

Share:

0 comments

A.J. Winter

Amanda, or A.J. Winter, is an avid reader and writer. She is a full-time college student who also writes on the website, Wattpad. She is a member of their Wattpad Stars program.

Comments system