Writing Within A School Schedule



Writing is hard. We all knew that, of course. But has anyone tried to write while in college? Tons of people have, and it's one of the hardest things to do. Ever. This semester has been the hardest one to find time to write especially. I've got two classes that require so much reading and it's hard to find time for myself. It also didn't help that I was binge watching Once Upon a Time for the past two weeks either. Ooops?

In the past week, I've begun taking myself seriously and trying to accommodate my two lives (because we all live two, don't even deny it). I want to evenly split my time with writing and school because I know I’m serious about writing. I want to be querying an agent by second semester this year. I mean, I do graduate a year from December. So I don’t have any time to waste!

Luckily, if I don’t want to be working on one thing, I’ve got other projects going on simultaneously. That’s one of the best things about Wattpad. There’s always something to write. This weekend, I began writing a story called Don’t Trust Peter Pan. I thought of it over a year ago and I finally got the itch to sit down and write it. I’m excited to begin posting it. I’m thinking in a few weeks I’ll start posting it!

But that’s not the point! The point is trying to find a routine for your schedule. I’ve always said find what works for you. But that’s not always the case! Sometimes I am the least motivated individual on the planet. I’m not kidding, I’ll have you know. I will sit on tumblr and twitter looking up the most random things and those all eat up what free time I could be having.

So here are my best tips to getting the most out of your writing life while having a busy school life!

  1. Make a daily word count: Having a set number of words every day can help you get an established routine and make you accountable for your actions. If you don’t make a word count, you can always add it onto the next day’s word count.
  2. Turn off your social media: I know this sounds obvious, but it’s true. Social media is the biggest time eater EVER. Turn it off. Now.
  3. Write whenever and wherever you can: The great thing about the world-wide web is that almost all writing programs have apps now! I highly recommend downloading the app of where you write and write on the go. I find the breaks between classes is the best time to squeeze in some writing!
  4. Set Goals: I’m a goal-oriented person, so I made a rough schedule of when I want to get things done by. Like, for example, I want to begin querying agents by March 1, 2017. I have little goals leading up to that point!

Hope these help you out! What are your tips for writing during the school year? Let me know in the comments!

Until next time,
~Amanda


Share:

0 comments

A.J. Winter

Amanda, or A.J. Winter, is an avid reader and writer. She is a full-time college student who also writes on the website, Wattpad. She is a member of their Wattpad Stars program.

Comments system